Thursday, July 11, 2013

Welcome to Zero to Sixty

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to my blog, The Zero to Sixty Car Blog.  First, I'll introduce myself. I love cars, (especially the more expensive ones), driving and talking about cars. I learned to drive on a manual transmission, taught by my dad who only buys manuals. I may also do the same when I start buying cars if manual transmissions are still available.  Newer technologies like electric cars do not require manual transmissions, so who knows?!  Currently, I'm in college and don't have a car, so I don't drive during the year, but when I'm home I'll drive whenever I can. And finally I'm writing this blog because a couple of my friends told me to share whatever I talk to them with other people as there might be people who share similar interests.  So without further ado, lets begin.

Aston Martin DB9 (source: Aston Martin Homepage)
Aston Martin DB5 (source: Wikipedia)


One of the most recent conversations I had before starting this blog was with my family about an Aston Martin we had seen on the highway.  It was the Aston Martin DB9.  For those who have never heard of Aston Martin, it is a high end British luxury car manufacturer.  James Bond has driven a range of Aston Martins over the past few decades, the earliest and most recent being the Aston Martin DB5, a
predecessor to the DB9.

Hennessey Venom GT (source: Wikipedia)


However our conversation did not end with Aston Martins and James Bond.  The DB9 was a convertible and we were able to see that the woman driving it looked like Steven Tyler, the lead singer of Aerosmith.  Steven Tyler has a Hennessey Venom GT (pictured above), one of the fastest cars in the world.  The Venom currently has the unofficial record of fastest 0-200 mph time with 14.51 seconds, (according to Wikipedia).  However it was not able to break the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport's top speed of 267.856 mph.  Companies like Koenigsegg, with the Agera - a car with a claimed top speed of 273 mph - and Hennessey don't have access to the Ehra-Lessien track that the Volkswagen group owns.  The Ehra-Lessien is a 60 mile long track of private tarmac that the companies associated with the Volkswagen group, (i.e. Audi, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Porsche, Bentley, etc.), use to test their vehicles.  This is where the Bugatti Veyrons break world records.

No comments:

Post a Comment